Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I didn't think we'd make it

You have a 1 in 16 chance of getting into a car accident. This can be anything from a fender bender to something fatal. I want to know what the odds are of being involved in two major accidents within one year resulting in a total loss of a vehicle, but all parties involved walking away. Because that would be Paulie and I.

Last year we were sideswiped by a car on 64 and thrown into the jersey wall. At the time I was amazed that we survived. Paulie even went to work the next day! This time was way worse.

We were coming home from the grocery store just joking and laughing in the car. We were coming off the interstate onto Indian River Rd. As we got out of the exit, Paulie passed out(I didn't know this yet), drove straight across three lanes of traffic, across the median, hit a tree in the median, and was finally stopped when we hit a tow truck on the other side of the road. Yes, we were facing oncoming traffic. I didn't realize Paulie had passed out until he slumped against me when we went across the median. I can only imagine how he felt driving one moment then waking up to me screaming and the car being wrecked. Luckily, there was an accident on that side already because if that tow truck hadn't stopped us I don't know what would have happened.

But I'm not concerned with what could have been. I am so THANKFUL my husband and I are alive. We were taken to Sentara Leigh to be checked out. I just had a cut on my neck from the seat belt and a busted lip and nose from the air bag. Paulie was taken somewhere else to have an EKG and other testing to figure out why he passed out. After a few hours the doctors determined he had what's called a vasovagal response. This can occur to anyone at anytime and is more commonly associated with fainting at the sight of blood or being scared. This happened to Paulie because he was laughing too hard. Sounds kind of funny after the fact. And I'd much rather it be something dumb like that than all of the things I was thinking of while in the ER(ie tumor, stroke, etc).

Initial impact with the median.



The firemen had to cut both doors off so we could get out.



The tire almost came up through the floorboard on Paulie's side.



We hit the tow truck on my side.



What my view of the accident was minus the blue tarp.


God definitely has us on his watch list. I am so grateful that we are. I don't know what I would do without my Paulie.

The silver lining in this is that we don't have a car payment anymore. Haha

p.s. If any of you donate to non-profits, maybe this month you can send something to the Kempsville Rescue Squad. They are an ambulance/emt service that is fully staffed by volunteers. They were some of the nicest people we have ever met and should be recognized for what they do for our community.

2 comments:

  1. Margary, how scary! I am so glad you and Paulie are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for holding both of you in His hands during such an horrifying experience! I'm so glad Paulie is okay and it was nothing serious - but how scary to think he fainted from laughter. I've heard of crying from laughter, but this is new. :) But seriously, SO thankful that you are both okay, and pray that the aftermath (insurance, new car, and all the headaches that go along with that) is resolved quickly as well. Love, hugs, and kisses to you both! Can't wait to see you next month. xoxo

    Oh, and I'll add Kempsville Rescue Squad to my list of potential charitable donations for an upcoming budget. ;)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
A crafty girl who loves her tattoo artist(so much she married him!), the Misfits, and dancing to Lady Gaga when no one is looking.